Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Our Story, coming soon

I sat down tonight to answer the question, how did you know which child was right for you? I thought that I would write an honest, and thoughtful answer. Because it's me, I figured that it would end up being long, but this has become crazy long. And because it came out of my brain, it requires little side notes to fill you in, and of course my opinion on all of it. Yeah, I need to re read all of it to see what actually needs to be in there. I was writing it to inform, but also to help those who are asking that question. So stay tuned, because it should be here soon.

I will continue this post a little longer, as I do have other things to say, and it's been about a week since I last posted. So, here are a list of things to remember, consider, and comment on:

  1. We will now have a weekly table at the Sutton's Farmers Market, know as FARM. If I can get myself together, we will have some Christmas gift items on Sunday. For anyone local who has not stopped by, please do. The market has much more to offer then I thought that it would, and as the holidays approach I'm told that it will get better.
  2. Our homestudy should be received in the morning, and hopefully sent off to the ministry by the end of the day. I'm very excited to hear from them tomorrow:)
  3. I am working on some fundraising ideas, but I'm not sure it they are any good. So, if anyone local is reading this I would LOVE your opinion on the following,
  4. Pumpkins pies and Apple Crisp - I was thinking about putting out fliers offering these fresh desserts 1 or 2 times per week. They can be delivered or picked up.
  5. Some kind of fresh oven ready dinner. Perhaps Friday night lasagna, where I would drop off a tray of fresh homemade lasagna. Could be a 1 time thing, where you could also get all the fixings for a salad and fresh bread and maybe even dessert, or a weekly thing of just the lasagna.
  6. The lasagna and or the pie/apple crisp would come ready to heat or freeze.

I guess with all of this fundraising talk, what I'm really saying is that I'm looking for ways to bring in extra money for the adoption. This last week has felt like forever sitting and waiting, and we are in a time crunch to get everything done and sent overseas. But once it starts moving tomorrow, there is no slowing down. Once all of the papers are finished in Canada, and I no longer have to paper chase, and everything is mailed off, we will have to start packing and getting ready to leave, because we could have anywhere from 2-8 weeks notice before we have to be in country for our appointment. Considering the time change and the fact that the day starts there 7 hours before it starts here, if we only had 2 weeks notice of our appointment date, that would only be about 10 days notice before we had to travel. Things are happening very quickly, even if at times it seems that they are not. Before we know it, we will have to have all of the money for this adoption ready and in cash...and let me tell you, it's a lot of money. Much more then the $24 000 you read on the RR web site. For some reason adoptions into Canada seem to cost much more then into the US, and the US (for this year) has an adoption refund program instead of the tax credit, which is awesome for all of the US families. But we do NOT have that here. I'm hoping to keep costs as low as possible, but there is only so much you can do.

Please, if you are reading this and you have any idea, opinions, comments etc, please leave them. I love to hear feedback and to know that someone out there is following along.

No comments:

Post a Comment